Friday, September 7, 2012

East Coast

We got a four day Labor (in america so i'm spelling it americanly) day weekend! Thank you Air Force! We decided that we would make the most of a Friday off and headed to the outer banks.  I was really excited to get to go to a North or South Carolina beach.  I know that may sound strange since I grew up by the best beaches in the world but Jenny Han, Sarah Dessen,  and (sad/embarrassed to admit) Nicholas Sparks haven't written any novels set in Queensland.  Yes, most of my travel dreams are directly related to books or movies.  Even though we couldn't afford a sweet beach house for the summer, no one has cancer, I didn't see liam hemsworth at the aquarium and my step mother doesn't own a cool boutique on the boardwalk, we had lots of fun.  You get a prize if you can name all those books/movies in the comments.

the drive was about two hours long and had at least 16 little farmers market side of the road fruit/veggie/whatever else tourists will buy shops.  By the 4th one Sean got the hint and we stopped for some yummy fruit and a ride on the tractors.


Our first stop was at the Roanoke Island aquarium.  We have a membership to a museum that is friends with them so we got in free and I was glad because the sharks were pretty much the coolest thing there.





digging for fossils.  Did you know that Roanoke Island was the birthplace of the first English baby way back in 1587 and it is home to the lost colony, yet another group of people who disappeared.


nest stop the beach! Swim Atlantic ocean. Check.





Elise loves sand. really loves sand.
 The next stop was the Wright brothers memorial.
I started out hiking up the hill with elise while sean was going to bring the boys up.  much to his dismay (screams of stay on the path) the boys decided that they would run up the hill through the bushes and not on the path.  they didn't make it very far.  Zac screams were heard all the way to the top, he had stepped on a thorn and Will had prickles all over him.  I have to say that I really had no sympathy (does that make me a bad mother?) for them at all, it was a great be obedient and you wont get hurt lesson. 
The boys finally made it to the top.
because of the bushy hill adventures we didn't bother with the museum there, I'm sure we'll get back someday. 
last stop was a pizza place...
 Elise and her awesome beach hair
Zac actually eating his pizza.
Yes mummy is taking pictures while everyone is eating because they are all watching the TV.
I should have known!!  even when we were dating Sean would watch whatever sports was on the TV at a restaurant....why do they put TVs in restaurants?!? really people. I might just be a snob but I like some dinner conversation!!

Anyway, next year I am going to stay in a beach house! want to come?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment