Sunday, September 16, 2012

Victory!

So I didn't know much about the American revolutionary war until yesterday because we went to the Yorktown Victory center and learnt all about the revolutionary war and how people lived then.  First stop was the farm
 
 inside the farmhouse
to the right is the farmhouse and the left is the kitchen, they had dried everything in there.
it reminded me a lot of nauvoo because they had people walking around in costume telling you what you'd be doing and how they did everything back in the day.  I am always very grateful for my washing machine, dishwasher and air conditioning whenever I come home.
 
now for the museum
as usually I think we got to read about 2 paragraphs but the boys enjoyed dressing up.
We couldn't take any pictures of the exhibits because they had some pretty sweet old stuff.
 Isaac, George and William
 William a pant less revolutionary
and they didn't have much that fit little zac but he didn't mind.
Next stop was the encampment.
 
 Everyone got to hold the very heavy musket and then she loaded it and shot at a tree.  It takes about 15 seconds to load and is not very accurate.  So I'm thinking that if this was the kind of arms the founding fathers were talking about when they wrote the right to arms part then I'm all for it. 
 Isaac writing a letter to his mummy from the battlefield
 this is an important guys bed because he has a tent to himself and he actually has a bed instead of hay and sharing the same size tent with 6 other dudes.
the boys trying to figure out the old map.
I didn't get a picture of the surgeons tent but they had some pretty intense surgical instruments and a high death rate from just living in a camp with all those dirty men drinking dirty water and bad food.
 
It is so fun to live close to so many historical sites.  Next week if the weather is nice we are going to drive up to Jamestown and see Pocahontas, john smith and friends.

1 comment: